View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Hipsters

shaun  said about 5 years ago  or at  12:38PM on Friday, August 8 2008 in chat

toadphoney  said about 5 years ago:

I was waiting to see if someone posted this....

trafficsounds  said about 5 years ago:

i read that too. good article

trafficsounds  said about 5 years ago:

this one written by timeout new york is also referenced in the adbusters article

Friends Forever  said about 5 years ago:

Nice.

Actionralf  said about 5 years ago:

this article sums up everything rather nicely...

Inactivist  said about 5 years ago:

There's some really interesting links through that... another couple of articles defending hipsterism as just what the ''kids'' are into now and anyone who sooks about is fucking old.

i'm old

Goal attack  said about 5 years ago:

hipsters didn't invent apathy - that was the slackers' claim to fame

dudewolf  said about 5 years ago:

10/10

Is it considered hipster to agree with this article?

charlesincharge  said about 5 years ago:

great article. so true. they need to be buried for cool to be reborn. i can't help but feel a million times better/cooler than any hipster loser though.

shaun  said about 5 years ago:

Is it considered hipster to agree with this article?

haha, it's tricky isn't it.

charlesincharge  said about 5 years ago:

also, hipsters can't play guitar. eat shit you losers. i stayed home after school learning to play, you went out skating. who's cooler now cunt?

Reverb  said about 5 years ago:

I read an article the other day (think the link was from a thread on here) which argued that hipsters despise their title, unlike b-boys, grungers, hippys etc.

fuck 'em for being so self-conscious

__v  said about 5 years ago:

Nathan Barley was funnier.

shaun  said about 5 years ago:

adam  said about 5 years ago:

who's cooler now cunt?

Yeah, shit cunts!!

Reverb  said about 5 years ago:

that was the article in question Shaun

Momus weighs in

after reading that I have come to the conclusion that my opinions are very easily swayed...

that was the article in question Shaun

no it wasn't...the article in question was the one Shaun originally posted...

View Comments 20 to 975

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

sting-bono  said 21 days ago:

No he was just the icing on the cake, the scab on the wound. I guess you just had to be there. They were all hipsters, and yet... None if them were hipsters...

I don't know about gazman, he said someone made millions! Millions! Looking around the room for recognition.

King_Rat  said 21 days ago:

Indeed, what a strange array of hipsters...

Gordon  said 21 days ago:

Mr S T Bono goes to Fitzroy:

''All of you are hipsters because you ride bikes, have kids, talk on phones and indulge in AIDS-core!''

GOD  said 21 days ago:

Sting feeling the inner city blues (make him wanna holler)

Hahaha it's true! All seen through my uninitiated eyes. I can handle it at night with noise drowning it out, but even collingwood during the day, judging by the people, is south yarra with too much eyeliner.

ocelotl  said 21 days ago:

Maybe next time you should ask in advance about the venue's policy on serving aids junkies.

ocelotl  said 21 days ago:

Wait, did the aids junkie have a beard? I'm still confused about whether he was a hipster or not.

Call me a princess but the whole coughing shit up and swallowing it sound from a guy 20cms away isn't very appetizing let alone when it's an aids junkie. And narcissists on every table carrying on with the volume up high is foreign to me, it was funny but sad. When did this become normal? Normcore?

I don't know if he was a hipster. Everyone else was, so was the cafe. But I'm the bad guy because I fail to order food while this shit's going on. Pigs. Seriously.

Gordon  said 21 days ago:

I get the feeling that you haven't been hipsterized but you just wanted to vent somewhere and none of your work colleagues like you because you steal toilet paper. I think we need a ''Sting is outraged'' thread.

Haha I wasn't the toilet paper thief! Actually my suspicions were on this hipster chick who was a translator and never acknowledged me and just are broccoli all day. That shit goes through you fast. I was hipsterized. The aids dude has ruined my day. I feel bad but it's not like that movie Philadelphia, I don't think he was gay.

charlesincharge  said 21 days ago:

stong-bono is more of a gloria jeans kind of guy

carwashhair  said 21 days ago:

bong-stono

Nah I appreciate the good that hipsters have brought to the cafe scene. They can't be faulted on that. I usually go to city cafés and there's none of that inner suburb bullshit. I wouldn't even know if the next guy has aids or thinks gazman has a great business model. The hipsters even know me by name. They're like well dressed ironic hobbits that brew great coffee and they're nice to me because they know I have no intention of stealing their precious, I just get my coffee and buggeroffski.

amazinglyblended  said 14 days ago:

“(Gentrification is) natural change whereby as areas age and people die, others of a younger age move in and buy up the dwellings and improve them,”

half-full!

mule  said 14 days ago:

that's not what gentrification means.

this person is missing a major step, poorer young people move into run down places and make them cool THEN they get gentrified by yuppies and baby boomers.

amazinglyblended  said 14 days ago:

just the circle-uh-life mate

outerspacextrapnel  said 14 days ago:

That article reads:

The suburb, 10 minutes from the CBD, is ripe for social and economic transformation, according to real estate and planning experts.

It should read.

The suburb, 10 minutes from the CBD, is ripe for social and economic transformation, according to real estate and planning experts looking to increase the value of with the hope attaching hipster cachet to their overvalued shitty properties they're trying to sell.

swahili bob  said 6 days ago:

the annual northern NSW splendour hipster invasion has begun - Lennox & Ballina is full of 'em gawd know what Byron must be like

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.